Thursday, April 16, 2015

(Copout Update) and Sound Euphonium!


Post ideas I intend to do:
1. Nisekoi and False Love (however I group this)
2. The big Rewrite post
3. Analyzing Biomedical Stuff and Art (Inaho)
5. The Legend of Zelda environmental analysis (Likely a short series)
6. The Saekano post 10. Something about Okami
11. Something about Sound Euphonium
12.Three pieces I edited for submission to a literary magazine (for two of them are poems that were not changed significantly asides from minor edits).
13. Akane post
14. Serial killers
15. Amaburi and ______ (????)
16. Saika (???)
17. Electr-o-pura review
18. The continuations on the murder mystery I am working on (one of the pieces I'm submitting); think of it as a serial publication or something
19. A.I.
20. Poem about ______
21. Other Nisekoi thing

I plan to stick solely to this 20 item list so that I can clean up what I have planned for this blog.
12 left, I suppose!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sound Euphonium!

The mysterious title means nothing, unless you're watching Sound Euphonium, the latest show from Kyoto Animation. Though the show features lovely animation and graphics, the music caught my eye. The scoring is truly marvelous, as I'd expect. However, I am referring to the characters themselves - they play in the band. Kumiko, apparently our main protagonist though other people seem to pop up often, wishes to give up on band geekdom but she ends up returning  to band in high school. Stuck with the euphonium. AGAIN. The very beginning of the show reveals a semi-lugubrious defeat of her middle school band, which appears to echo in many of her decisions. Clearly, Kumiko has had a hard life and has regrets. Does the pretty, raven-haired classmate even respect her anymore after that tremendous mess-up?


 Figure 1. In which Kumiko talks happily about her old instrument, the euphonium, but later pretends she has never played it. Somehow, she still ends up playing the euphonium. Go figure.

What gets me about this show is the constant reminders that I never tried to learn an instrument, whether for orchestra or band. My digital music, which I have procrastinated for so long, truly lacks - though this is not necessarily a pure flaw - that human touch. I play piano, but also in some bizarre manner. Now that I think about it, violin would be easier than a brass instrument - my intercostal muscles (of my lungs) are rather weak due to Becker's, so I imagine I would struggle very hard, whether attempting a tuba or a euphonium. But, this show makes me wish I could! The show seems to hint that this high school's band is notable but what does Kumiko care if she has lost the respect of Kousaka? I'm conflicted. I regret not playing in band at all when I had the chance but at the expense of Kumiko's feelings. One could argue that I need not care about her opinion but I am a responsible viewer! Sheesh! Perhaps this example validates the passion with which some people come to playing music. This is not K-on, where tea and snacks take precedence over music-playing - this is whole-hearted, as opposed to eighth-hearted. I cannot help but admire the fact that KyoAni can convince me to care about an activity in which I have never participated. An activity I probably would never be able to do because of my condition. But still, I am engrossed! I'm glad that we can see Kumiko (et. al) w.r.t band and in her personal, non-band life.

No comments:

Post a Comment