Monday, February 22, 2016

Gatcha, Update!



After having provided an actual blog post – written while I was out of town, no less! – I think I will fall back into that trend of update writings in place of actual content.  The past couple of weeks have been strange, sometimes unstructured, sometimes hurried. But at the very least, the stage should be set for future endeavors on this blog. Today, I’d like to focus on a few things.

Firstly, at Toastmasters last week, I acted as the Table Topics master. This role required creating prompts for 1-2 minute impromptu speeches. Seeking to be different, my response was to do a situational approach, with loose thematic similarities linking the prompts. Many of these were blatantly ripped off various works of art and then summarized down to provide an opportunity for a response. For this activity, I wanted emotional, personal responses that reflect a person’s inner being. But ultimately, many of the speakers went for an impersonal, bland approach – specifically, two of the speakers opted to not include their own personality inside their responses. Maybe it’s because some (if not all) prompts felt too narrow or foreign. I may need to think of how to force people into new situations, without using unfamiliar language, and give personal responses. Another possibility is that many people are conditioned to avoid the personal, and that may be problematic.

Today at Toastmasters, I will be an evaluator – meaning that I will give feedback on a prepared speech orally. This will require excellent note-taking, so maybe this won’t be my best role. But everything takes practice, right?

The d(n_blog)/dt has been rather slow as of late. More posts will be coming, especially analytical posts as I return to completing shows rapidly. To get better at this, I hope to write about shows as I see them, rather than waiting a long time – this way, the shows will be more lucid in my mind. Furthermore, expect to see updates from my short story as I slowly make progress.

As mentioned, I have been watching a high volume of anime. It is fascinating how so many shows can blend together despite being so different on the surface – voice actors and themes in particular act to tie them together. I can’t tell you how many shows I’ve seen with Ryota Osaka lately, for example. Apparently, Zrucore strongly favors “trippy” or very colorful aesthetics, such as those featured in Gatchaman Crowds.

Have a nice day, and, as always (if always is today), Gatcha!
- Zeldaru

No comments:

Post a Comment