Saturday, June 11, 2016

Review of Rina's Kitchenette: The Food Thingie



Rina’s Kitchenette, an apparently hip up-and-coming restaurant in Lahore, Pakistan, has a simple atmosphere – a counter with a bakery, and then some seats at a table in a cramped space. The upstairs portion of the restaurant features more tables and seats, a logical extension of the downstairs. For only having been open a month, the place was quite packed. Feeling quite famished, I ordered a lemonade, a roast beef sandwich, and a brownie with vanilla ice cream. The first two to hold me off until the third came.

The lemonade was overly saccharine, as if they expected me to want a drowned mountain of sugar. Slow sips, because the taste is both interesting and slightly repulsive. If it was more dilute, the drink would have been enjoyable. Still passable, though. My grumbling stomach then led me to the roast beef sandwich, which was delivered after 10-15 minutes or so. The meat, moist from onion marmalade and other ingredients, practically melted in my mouth, so to speak. Different from other beef sandwiches in that my mouth was not completely dry afterwards. Rather, the lemonade made me thirstier than the sandwich, which could be cause for alarm! The onion made the dish more succulent, by adding a mildly sweet taste and a gentle texture to the beef.

The service was alright – correct meals delivered upstairs to my table, but somewhat slow. The employees, mainly because of a language barrier, could be hard to communicate with, admittedly. Nothing much to say here.

On that note – where’s the brownie? It appeared after maybe 30 minutes, at which point I had thoroughly finished the sandwich and needed something chocolate. Done right, chocolate is exactly what I want. This place is incredibly noisy, especially when you are waiting on a brownie – it’s more of a murder of crows than a cacophony of elephants, though. As a result, coming here with friends is substantially more fun than alone.

Like a true patrician, I will judge this place mainly on its brownies. And the fries, which I stole from my sister, are quite satisfying as well. Mildly salted, and with the right amount of crunch without being too hard. Man, everyone reading this probably worries that I mainly eat junk food.

Now that the brownie has arrived, its smooth appearance was visible to all (but most importantly me) – to invoke some clichéd metaphor, it’s like resting in a grassy field, a tree  blocking out a vivid, burning summer sun. Ice cream, though it is standard, supplemented the brownie by preventing my mouth from becoming an arid dessert. As I get older, that becomes crucial.

Everything I ate at Rina’s Kitchenette, including the French fries I tried out and the desert I tried from my sister’s friend, was quite good. The lemonade, thankfully, was a lackluster exception. I recommend this restaurant, especially if you go with friends (as it is rather noisy). Definitely a highlight of my time in Lahore.

No comments:

Post a Comment