Friday, September 9, 2016

A Study of Space Through Eating Out: Review of Morimoto Waikiki



Yesterday marked a unique moment on the journey towards becoming a foodie. Set inside the posh, aptly-named Modern Honolulu hotel, Morimoto Waikiki is immensely extravagant, as one might suspect. Best known as a place frequented by the Obamas, it is quite high-scale.

The restaurant, much as the hotel, is ornately yet plausibly decorated. Porcelain structures encased in glass boxes attached to the ceiling (right image). Spread out lights illuminating the surrounding, creating a proper light density. Green chairs, and white walls, except for the colorful images of flowers spliced together (top image, right image). White napkin neatly placed in a white rectangular dish, with translucent white chopsticks set with a smooth white rest (below). I was in awe of it all. Morimoto’s aesthetic was intricately constructed to allow a sense of leisure, aided by the jazzy instrumental music tending towards trip-hop that floated over our heads.




Noticing, from a slight angle, the chefs studiously preparing meals in the partially open kitchen, I realized it was time to order dishes. Morimoto is a Japanese place. That means sashimi and sushi, of all varieties but of course including tuna and salmon. My younger sister ordered shrimp tempura, while I set my sights on the wagyu carpaccio (a beef dish, left). Throughout this process, the servers were courteous and helpful – they checked for food restrictions, which I had supplied in my OpenTable reservation, and assisted us in finalizing our orders.

You know, the food came out quite fast, like a musical release from Thirdkoopa. Diving into the wagyu carpaccio, I was taken aback – the yuzu soy sauce introduced a new dimension of flavor. My apprehension at ordering wagyu here was obliterated. It was akin to being gently submersed in water without any fear of drowning, with pure clarity. Cilantro and watercress added to the beef contrasted the meatiness of the dish, while intensifying the flavor. (Admittedly, cilantro is a golden herb as far as I am concerned.) The first thought that came to mind: “If such a thing as a perfect dish exists, this savory food surely counts.” A territorial urge rose when my family wanted to try some, but I managed to barely suppress the urge.

Morimoto provided an environment of self-exploration, as if one was set in space in a simple spacesuit, crouching on an asteroid. A minor jetpack providing the only push into the greater unknown. In this case, the greater unknown entailed eating foods without explicitly knowing their name or their flavor beforehand. An exception: the shrimp tempura was superficially familiar, but its infusion with Dijon mustard elevated it above its kin.  With a little jetpack, one can only go so far from the asteroid. At the very least, tuna, salmon, and rice were involved in the mix, but who knows what the other fishes were.

With the sashimi we were provided an array of sauces, including unagi (eel) and yuzu (citrus). What struck me the most was the presentation: a square tower comprised of four slices of sashimi. Together they complemented each other, but were no slouches individually either. Being me, I went for the yuzu sauce, because it resonates with my soul or something. Then, a pot full of sashimi and rice was brought out, continuing our siege on foodkind. If the din of eating had not yet set in, it certainly had now. Here I investigated more unfamiliar tastes, aided by the comfort of rice.  Of these, tamago (egg) was certainly strange, far sweeter than one would suspect.

A final dish was brought out to commemorate my parents’ anniversary: banana ice cream – that tasted as expected, so I allowed my dad to finish it. It was now time to reflect. An immense, and fairly costly, sum of food had been consumed quickly, reflecting a combination of great hunger and excellent flavor. Even having been to many Japanese restaurants, I was brought to that stereotypical frolicking-through-a-meadow image which accompanies an amazing meal. To continue that space metaphor, my little jetpack had brought me through the recesses of space, placing me before this wonderful experience.

Score: 91/100

No comments:

Post a Comment