Sunday, October 23, 2016

Post-Apocalyptic Musings

...Misleading title, right? First of all, let's get a few things out there.  I have NO free time as a PhD student and am definitely also not procrastinating right now.

There's only one show worth your time this season and it's Keijo/Haikyuu (crossover event, okay). Winter 2017? Jesus, there's only Acca or something. Don't you miss the days of Black Lagoon and School Days when anime was much more consistent in quality? And, don't even think of watching that Eromanga sensei anime in Spring 2017.

Attempting to be serious here -- no, seriously stop laughing, doofus -- lately I have been playing Metroid Prime 2 and watching Kamisama Kiss. Both have been rather engrossing, even though I have had only the past couple days for either.

For Prime 2, I finally have made it to the gorgeous terrain of Torvus Bog, even if the continual rain strikes much too close for comfort. The bog's theme has been a perpetual favorite for years, inspiring my imagination, or something. Dark Aether is immensely indistinct with passageways barely separate from straight-up walls -- it's either the way forward, or just a wall. But the aesthetic of light and dark grows increasingly powerful as one progresses through the game. Despite being over a decade old, it visually holds up well, and provides a fun experience in line with the first Prime game. (Prime 3 can wait until later, obviously.)

And, for Kamisama Kiss, I am eagerly awaiting, from my experience with the manga, the later installments of the series, specifically a later OVA. So, the earlier material, in retrospect, can seem insignificant -- but, the show shredded that notion and painted a clear reality for me: it is "weaker", but still quite fun. The adaptation is delightful, adding to the original without forsaking the feel.

Maybe I will write more. Maybe. Maybe. Right after I clean up my backlog, and get caught up with school stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment