Sunday, July 26, 2015

The First One-Off



These one-off posts will focus on three works of art (no specific medium) by way of a brief review or sketch of an idea. One idea per work of art, and then a final concluding paragraph – I intend to arrange a one-off post so that there is a general, overarching theme. In the ending I will tie the three works of art together loosely. I hope that these short posts can help me out when I aim to return to works of art to write longer posts. I will likely pick three works of art that I recently consumed, with emphasis on the ones I like the most. I hope this format is not confusing but rather adds some helpful diversity to my posts.
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.      Wolf Children
Today I read the manga adaptation of Wolf Children, a film directed by Mamoru Hosoda. He directed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, one of my favorite movies, so I had high hopes for this film (and the manga). Wolf Children has wonky pacing as a film but the ideas are fresh and original, allowing them to penetrate deeply into the psyche. The movie and manga both hit rather hard emotionally because the characters face such adversity. In one scene, Yuki, in a very loud and tearful manner, repeatedly exclaims “I’m sorry” to her mother; her serious intent is reflected in her repetition. Reading the manga helped me clarify and re-process the material underlying the film, allowing me to more fully appreciate the story. Both are beautiful. The manga has gargantuan yet lovely images of mountains, and other scenery, and the characters, allowing the viewer to focus on them. The film was, however, faster and had these sweeping cinematographic shots.  One scene exuberantly keeps pace with Ame, Yuki, and Hana as they run across the fresh snow; the frame shakes along with the characters as they continue, giving a realistic effect that lets the viewer keep up with the moving frame. The framing, animation, and landscapes combined create a visually impressive film.

Asides from that which I usually enjoy, I really respected how the film explored Hana as a single mother. Usually, in art, the family is typically nuclear – though it tends to be dysfunctional, this approach affirms what a “normal” family is supposed to be. However, here the family is a single parent household yet they are not depicted as fragmented. Wolf Children is unique and simultaneously plausible, creating an endearing depiction. Seeing their father pass way adds to this effect since we as viewers can understand their struggle – we cannot attach the typical stigma against single mothers.  Hana is a single human mother and she now must raise Ame and Yuki – Wolf Children – on her own. The children share dual identities as wolves and humans, making them fundamentally separate from Hana. Despite this barrier, Hana never gives up – she does what is best for her children even as they struggle with their self-conception. The ability for Hosoda to portray this family as strong - even as they drift apart based on their perceived abilities – is admirable.

That is all part of why I find Wolf Children very compelling. The film can be emotional yet admirable, sincere while not completely morose – there is humanity wrapped inside the film and manga.

2.      Honey and Clover
The manga series of Honey and Clover was an emotional ride that I completed only recently. But its focus on an art school in Tokyo should seem removed from my experiences – I graduated in engineering, which is not similar in the slightest. However, the main characters in Honey and Clover spend a lot of time on projects – they question their identity as they question their progress. As a researcher I did much of the same thing, though I did not do an art project. I wondered if my thesis was artistic – if it was both clear but imbued with a distinctive voice that made it enjoyable to read. In that sense, I was metaphorically sculpting my knowledge into an aesthetically appealing form. I questioned the validity and creativity of my project, much like the art students questioned their senior projects.  The series focuses on characters getting older – Mayama graduates and gets a job, Yamada ends up back at the academy, and Takemoto and Hagu end up on the unusual path of adulthood too. Seeing these events unfold reminded me that I was now in the midst of adulthood. The Honey and Clover cast deals with many unusual tasks and they all fit being an adult – the manga painted the picture of adulthood for me. Now there was no turning back. And, as time passes, relationships fray.

3.      BoJack Horseman
Today I finished season 1 of BoJack Horseman, which is a Netflix Original show. In many ways, BoJack is simply a lonely person who has few friends, late in life – he is an extraordinarily disillusioned person. Though his path is unusual, he embodies the loneliness and sadness of adulthood. In another way, he is clearly adult: his love-life is so disjointed and no matter what he does, he cannot make up his mind or do anything beyond being half-hearted. He ends up wanting two different people romantically but both get torn from his grasp anyways, as if life has no concern for BoJack’s happiness. Adulthood is apparently loveless and lonely so it’s hard to accept that good things can happen. Therefore, one must try to make a difference, even if there’s this fear that you cannot do anything. BoJack is not a show about perseverance in the lofty, propagandist sense: it’s about never giving up on life itself, even if life refuses to be helpful.

4.      Conclusion
The theme is the adversity of adulthood – love is also  tense and my fail as part of adult life and you may lose touch with yourself and your friends. Ultimately, the passage of time is brutal – adulthood is thus very brutal. The struggle, hopefully, is worthwhile and gifts adults with wisdom and valuable experiences instead of sorrow over lost time. If things must be lost over time, then hopefully there is still something to be gained. Otherwise struggling and living as an adult would not be remotely worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment