Thursday, March 31, 2016

Blue, A Lovely Color (the Poem)

Blue, A Lovely Color

Water pooling around me,
and rising.

Dread sinks deep within my chest,
as my foe readies his final move
with his pincer pointing at me.

The water a clairvoyant blue
prepares a sunken grave for me,
but I cannot die here.

Not yet;
please, not yet, my foe.

On my pride –
which was sharp as a lance
and determined to uphold the legacy of my kin
but is now dull, unseemly –
I cannot die here
or I will bring shame to my family.

This is my very last stand,
my time to defeat my foe,
but he bears closer
carrying a more passionate will to destroy.

But this is so vile;
Not yet,
for my pride won’t let me quiet,
even to a devil in a snow-coated land.

All I can feel is my warm blood painting my head red,
and my heart throbbing its last;
All I can see is blue crowding my vision,
and my love fading from view;
All I can hear is my voice calling his name,
and hearing nothing in return.
 
Water pooling around me,
and rising.

Crystal clear water,
from pristine snowmelts,
surrounds me as my senses drown,
and my consciousness deserts me in a fit of despair –
I am gone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue, A Lovely Color is a poem inspired by a certain character who died a miserable, terrible death seemingly without any relief. The title calls on the song "Blue" by A Perfect Circle. At the same time, the color blue plays an important role in a few respects with respect to the story, but 'blue' also functions as a symbol for sadness. As in an archetypal portrayal of the color. But there is also the very physical blueness that stems from something like hypothermia. Here, blue works in all of these different realms. 

Asides, from these minor details, I tried to create a new poetry style for myself, a more vivid one filled with imagery. The most notable new feature is the use of repetition to hit home certain ideas and sounds, an approach I have scarcely used before. This poem is intended tAio humanize the subject in a deep manner, and prevent her death from being in vain. 

However, a brief update is also in order, given that this blog has seen zero posts in a few weeks. Some items I consider crucial. First of all, on MAL, I have nearly 300 animes completed, which will bring me to my resolution  - after I finish LOTGH and Kara no Kyoukai that is.  Having completed Aku no Hana, which ended up being a swift read, I can claim to have met my long-manga goal (which is 5 mangas with more than 40 chapters). Reading Magic Knight Rayearth will bring me almost to my short-manga goal (which is 5 mangas with less than 40 chapters) though I will likely finish the goal with Orange. My manga tastes really have drifted towards shoujo (wow).

 Asides from that, I will (attempt to) do something for April Fool's day (going by PST of course). It involves a VA with whom I associate the phrase "kira kira" (which is basically twinkling, in my understanding). My weeb friend will certainly appreciate the April Fool's blog post. I hope.

The next blog post should be coming up very soon, and hopefully I can figure out more ideas for this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment