Thursday, May 5, 2016

Creative Fatigue, and Cryptic Musings

Is it a thing? Creative fatigue covering both consumption and creation of art. Where you keep moving towards an imaginary goal just to serve some duty to complete backlogs. A friend insisted that he liked my "complaining", so today I want to dissuade him from thinking so. For the past month or so, I have felt the desire to keep watching anime, even as my practical backlog -- the shows I am working on -- has exploded. But this is just a concrete example of this creative fatigue.

Creative fatigue, as I'm calling it, is wanting to be very productive but lacking the will to keep moving along steadily. In some ways, it has manifested in my lack of desire to partake in any writing, whether on my blog or not. And there is the matter of my rough manuscript that would be finished if I did not keep taking breaks. So many aspects of my life right now seem to come down to: if only I did not keep taking breaks. Each day I stumble through and wonder how it got to evening without me doing enough "work". 9 hours and I somehow only watch a few episodes of a show, or read a volume of a manga, or exercise. Even this combination does not assuage the dismalness of this loss of time -- it is dull and concerning. Every time I try to relax -- even when in the midst of hobbies I swear I enjoy -- I will find my heart begin to pace and become unable to focus. And then I keep pausing, whether literally for shows or figuratively for reading or writing, and in the end take up to thrice as long with whatever activity.

Hopefully as I am in DC longer, I can both get accustomed to EST but also revitalize my ability to be productive, creatively and professionally. But even the task of surmounting this "creative fatigue" is itself intimidating and scary. Maybe I need to start by proving myself wrong and having a busy day -- but busy in a satisfying way.

(And hopefully that friend has grown very tired of my complaining.)

In terms of blog updates, some thoughts I would like to offer:
1) Hopefully the "image analysis" idea offers some chances for brief but creative blog posts as "responses" to works of art. I will try to write more as a way to make up for a relative lack of activity -- it will operate similarly to the song review posts that were done earlier in this blog's history.
2) Outright reviews, thematic or otherwise, will take a lower priority as they tend to be more regurgitation than analysis.
3) More creative posts, especially poems and my story manuscript, should be on their way too.

So, in other words, this sums up to just another update post mixed with my complaints that exist as the very opposite of eloquent. But May may just be that month where there are more than four or five posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment