Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Retrospecting As Society Returns: Spring 2022 to Spring 2023

Rivers carry water. They also grant passage to memories. Here are three great riverside views from the past year.

 View of the Neretva River from the Old Bridge Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovnia.


View of the North Saskatchewan River from a valley lookout in Edmonton, Alberta



 Ducks carrying on along the Willamette River in Portland, Oregon.

Three years ago or so – March 24 2020 – the pandemic fully materialized, pushing me to escape Canada back to Oregon. Just after the border closed shut. This year I made it back to Edmonton, and even finally traveled to Bosnia and Herzegovina. What follows are my reflections on the past year.

For those who know me, I watched Cheers back in 2021 and jumped to Frasier just after, finishing the journey on July 29 2022. These two shows describe this part of my life well. In Cheers, they bemoan the Edmonton Oilers; in Frasier, they bring up Bosnia for a funny language gag. Together, these represent the most dramatic highlights of my year: traveling to Canada and traveling to Europe.

Typically, this post would be organized in a pure chronological order.  For this strange period of “forced normalcy,” I found myself reeling from the mental preparation required.

Contents ordered as follows:
1) Travels of the Year
2) Spring – Summer 2022
3) Fall 2022 – Spring 2023
4) Professional Development
5) Wellbeing
6) Extracurricular Activities
7) Retrospective Recap

Travels of the Year
My long-awaited Canada trip – 2 years delayed – marked the first time I fully planned a trip myself and went without outside help.
https://oregon2alberta.blogspot.com/2022/05/making-journey-back-return-to-alberta.html  

There was also a surprise trip to Europe in support of my diplomat sister; we traveled around in the Balkans with time spent in:
Kotor (
http://nighttrail.blogspot.com/2022/06/getting-around-in-balkans-access-report.html)
Croatia (
http://nighttrail.blogspot.com/2022/06/to-coast-of-croatia-jewel-of-adriatic.html)
Bosnia (
http://nighttrail.blogspot.com/2022/06/bosnia-bound-experiencing-life-in.html)

I even devoted a full essay to my accessibility experiences while there (
http://nighttrail.blogspot.com/2022/06/getting-around-in-balkans-access-report.html).

Spring—Summer 2022
The leadup to my travels was not immensely exciting because of the stress of my school and scooter situation. In parallel, Ramadan fell during the month of April. Clearly the pandemic – 2020 and 2021 that is— had spoiled me on fasting with family around. There was a trip to the lakeside city of Findlay for an undergraduate-focused interdisciplinary scientific conference – with a bigger focus on the process of learning. There was a keynote speech talking about how mast cells may be involved with POTS and Long Covid, which was an interesting frameshift. 

Unfortunately, this did not alleviate the stress of my situation either. My egress back home seemed like the only solution to the brutal ennui of uncertainty. Despite the month, rain and a chill breeze hung in the air on the day of the Eid al-Fitr (the first one) prayer. Even harder: a final due that day, requiring me to work ahead.

From the administrative perspective, my program was surprised and disappointed about my ‘disappearance.’ I needed to recuperate before returning. This ended up taking the form of medical leave and my graduate school fellowship being postponed until Fall. I reasoned that – even if I wanted to – little could be done during the summer anyways. This gave me time to travel with more time in Oregon before returning.

Fast forward through the travels of May and June. My 4th of July interestingly was spent with my parents at a memorial for a dear old family friend. Given that he died in his 90s, this was more on the celebration end. There was a small hiccup – the open mic was almost skipped. I took charge and spoke into the mic about the family friend laughing with my dad as a fond memory. We spent enough time that we were invited for food. Given their heritage, the catered food was Persian (provided by another childhood fave actually). I enjoyed the kebabs and rice as well as an eggplant stew (apparently called Khorseh Bademjan). 

Oregon is of course blessed with natural beauty extending into the summer time. My time off allowed me to appreciate these sights in full. Two views from my July are shared below: 1) a trip to the Northern Oregon coast and 2) a trip to the Rose Garden.

Some awesome food-related experiences like a visit to seafood-focused Five Spice and a return to the Japanese hibachi place Benihana (a childhood favorite). The most unique had to be experiencing an outdoor BBQ with a makeshift tandoor on Eid al-Adha (the second one). I even got to learn the skill of picking blueberries from the three plants in the garden. Though much smaller, they had a tart and impactful flavor, lending themselves to a satisfying bite. Of course, the beautiful purple-blue coloration still came through.

On August 9th, I finally headed back, but there were strange times before then. August 6th  featured us going to the farmer’s market where I got food at the French bakery. While there, my mom somehow found one of my old Boy Scout troop leaders. He remembered taking me to a shooting range so I could finish my merit badge (among other things). Afterwards, we went to the community garden (image below) before proceeding to the Lan Su garden (image below). On a warm day, lilypads were a lovely sight, especially with the sight of dragonflies flitting around. To close the day,  we attended the Obon Festival at the Oregon Buddhist Temple, featuring many people trying to do the Obon dancing. This was a day packed with excitement.


Gladiolas at the community garden.

Sweltering summer stint at the Lan Su Chinese Garden.

The next day my mom was not feeling well – and the antigen test looked ambiguous. We had just spent pretty much all of the 6th together and my flight was coming up soon. I researched PCR testing and scheduled it for both of us for the 8th. While I felt fine, she clearly did not feel 100%. This meant cautiously wearing a mask and socially distance *while* going across the whole country. The test results came in after my flight – positive for my mom, negative for me. Thankfully no one else in the family got COVID. Not even me!  


My last hurrah was watching the film Throne of Blood – by the esteemed Akira Kurosawa –  from a library DVD. Muffled audio did not get in the way of a great viewing experience without needing the internet. This was all at home!

Fall 2022 — Spring 2023
Sometimes, things do not work out as hoped for. On August 30th, my abandoned small flower pot was introduced to lavender seeds and soil – mailed by my mom across the U.S. I did my due diligence. I watered the lavender once a week. Tried to grow in both the pot and a little cup. Seems like the seeds never quite took root, especially thanks to my building’s wildly inconsistent heating. In November, three months had passed, and so had the hopes of a lavender plant at home.

Weird fall because of the ambiguity that plagued me (possibly a common theme lately). There was of course school but a surprise snuck up.  My capture by COVID happened in late October, which left me stuck at home (as described later in this post). Going out meant being somewhere tucked away from people, which gave me a certain striking view (left). Perhaps that is where I found the strength to keep moving.  I tried to keep November exciting. A surprise trip to Yellow Springs – a rare liberal town in Ohio known for its do-it-yourself culture and a spring (below) – with other university students. On the first, I booked tickets to see the Portland Japanese Garden for my return flight for Thanksgiving. By contrast, the 18th brought some rather bad news that absolutely made me want to go back home. Truly a tale of contrasts.






 

 

 

For the Thanksgiving, my older sister returned to town, giving chances for much excitement. We took walks, chatted, and treated ourselves to a lot of food. This included the local French food (La provence), Chinese (Sichuan Chef), Mexican (Verde Cocina), and Southern food (Jojos). In particular, Jojos was amusing because of this southern style fried chicken place having some rather impressive vegan options. All on top of having gender-neutral bathrooms. They even played a semi-obscure song that I recognized (likely “Truth Never Ends” by New Order).

 

While home, I had an exciting reunion with childhood friends and their dads at La Provence. Here I had my usual salmon hash (which came with a croissant on the side). We reminisced about our shared time in Boy Scouts including my own fabled “falling from horse” story. As it turns out, my dad asked for a smaller horse to help me out. That horse, however, ended up galloping, knocking me off. Funniest part is probably that I was not that shaken, despite the ordeal of becoming mud coated.

Naturally, the Japanese Garden featured a host of tremendous autumnal colors. Not depicted were the koi fish resting in a square imprint at the center of a pond.
 

At my sister’s urging, we also went to Waclella Falls, a less familiar part of the Columbia River Gorge. The trip was challenging, especially when we had to step over logs or across stones. The sight, however, was very worthwhile. Funnily enough, the Yellow Spring really does not stand up to this sight.



Just before the close of the Fall semester, I saw an incredible rakugo performance on campus, as detailed in:
http://nighttrail.blogspot.com/2022/12/descending-stories-rakugo-in-modern-era.html

My winter break provided an excellent opportunity to relax and regroup my efforts. Not unlike the summer break, to be honest. Of course, some nice food opportunities like McMenamins (pub style place) with a friend. The most interesting has to be snowshoeing (image below), which provided an intense workout over a mere 30 minutes. 

In December – what a busy time for everything huh – I participated in a clinical trial focused on MRI imaging of muscular dystrophy. This took place over only two days but what a jam-packed two days. The full experiences are described in this post: http://nighttrail.blogspot.com/2022/12/lying-in-space-my-time-in-clinical-trial.html 

Coming back to school prompted me to attend  movies more often. A nice independent theater is only a ten-minute walk away. Despite the proximity, I had no idea until Fall 2022 – when I saw the great film Nope there. Then February marked a battery of films. On the third, I watched an anime film so that I could see its sequel in theaters the same day. Then on February 9th, I went to see the Iranian film No Bears, a very grounded look at despair in Iran. …The film screen abruptly faded black over an hour early….You see, the power went out! This meant I could not even get downstairs using the elevator. After 90 minutes of waiting, the staff members carried my scooter down the stairs and I headed home after the ordeal. 

This was no normal day. Just earlier it was sunny reaching a rare high of 70F in Ohio winter before transitioning over to strong winds. Power likely went out for this reason. At least the geese were happy!

 

 

 

Happily, the power returned the next day – which is when my next viewing took place. I saw Judas and the Black Messiah, which is a riveting tale of the Illinois chapter of the Black Panthers. Despite being a true story, I was still totally shaken by the actual ending. On Sunday the 11th, I came back and saw No Bears – despite the first 40 minutes being familiar, I found myself thinking about the central theme of "should I stay in Iran or try to flee" in the face of institutional power. Like Judas, this was not entirely a documentary, but so much felt vividly present in my memory.

Around that time, I witnessed a showering of food. Taste of OSU is a massive multicultural night that the university has not held in years (surely you can guess the reason). I was fighting against crowds in a way that had become totally foreign. To be honest, it felt rather uncomfortable to meet with walls of people once more. With ten food tickets in hand, I got ten handfuls of food, essentially. Added together this made a meal (as on the left). The cuisines represented are: Indonesian, Malaysian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Caribbean, and Iranian. It was a surprisingly formidable mix! 

 After eating this delightful mix, I took a second attempt at a classic: Chapli kebab and rice (see below). Despite the simple appearance, this dish requires the manual action to flatten the meat and then skill to cook the kebabs without them falling apart. My parents remain much better at this dish than I am, which gives much room for growth.
 

 

 

 

 

 

Before heading back to Oregon for the break, I participated in a writing study at the request of a friend. Fairly trusty Google (the control search engine) helped me research and develop my opinion on universal healthcare in the US. Naturally, I was already on board, but this taught me that the system is in fact the “Beveridge system.” (With apologies to my younger sister for misunderstanding her.)

Spring break was fairly casual, given that my parents were still abroad and that my sister had work and finals. Even sadder was the spring being delayed. Still I managed to eat the classics like Pizzicato. With a friend, I watched the Ghibli film Whisper of the Heart in the massive theater at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI). As a film, it is great, yet the theatrical experience helped it shine even more.

Afterwards, we tried out the famed Dough Zone. The dishes were Chicken Potstickers (upper left), Dan Dan Noodles (left), and Green Onion Cakes (right).  My friend said that the noodles tasted like peanuts. This was quite the scare! Fortunately, the staff cleared up the confusion and I could get to eating. A little Szechuan spice kick from these noodles paired well with the other dishes.

 Spring rejuvenates plants and returns life back. This spirit infected me while glancing at an old painting – created during 2014 while visiting my parents in South Korea. 

March 24th happened to be a day for me to see the Canadian-associated sport of hockey. Surprisingly, my chance to see an NHL game had come. Happily, discounted student tickets came together with a ten-minute bus ride. By contrast, returning was exceptionally challenging – as the buses had stopped running Friday night. The trip back took 40 minutes outside in the gusty rain at night, which nearly depleted my scooter battery. Once home, I rested surprisingly well. Despite my traditional wariness of sports, I found the experience fun overall. The arena itself was incredibly busy, which was a challenge for my scooter and I.  After parking it outside, I walked up steep steps to get to my seat. Having ~16k people made for a big show with flashing lights and loud sounds. Around round 2, the groove began to sink in. Unfortunately, there was a CANNON BLAST each time the home team scored, which really made me want the opposing team to win. On top of being poorly regarded, the loud booing set me firmly towards the visiting team. Two friends of mine are long-time fans of the visiting team, which worked out swell. Just a little now, I totally understand the fervor of sports. 

This March is set apart from the previous one because of the earlier start of Ramadan (March 23rd). Fasting from before dawn to dusk remains challenging. Without as much food, though, I find my reflections to be clearer. Even after my ordeal returning home from the hockey game. Carrying this clarity will help me weather these current and future storms.

Professional Development 
How has school been going? – the question I am sure you are asking. As a second year PhD student, I should have found stable footing. Instead, my feet appear to be slipping. For the summer semester (May – August 2022), I took medical leave because of my challenges finding a lab. Even during my travels, I had to strategize for my fall semester – knowing that my graduate school fellowship was set to expire in December. Coming back, I tried out two more labs and still came up short-handed. During the Christmas break, only a few days after my return home, the heads of my PhD program gave me a potential path where the graduate school pays tuition/fees but I receive no stipend. After spending a week, I affirmed my desire to an honest effort towards becoming a PhD graduate.

Now back, my attention this spring semester (Jan – May 2023) is entirely on finding a lab, as this is the last chance So far, I have contacted 31 professors to fulfill my goal. Out of that group, only 4 professors gave me a potential yes while 8 did not even respond to me. A potential mentor asked me to defend my MS thesis (completed in 2019). Brushing up was tough, but the presentation went well somehow. Afterwards, my list of potential mentors dropped more, adding greater pressure. Time is the only possible judge of what may come of this – but a potential 7th lab may yet pull me towards a dissertation.

In total, since the start of fall, I have held at least 50 meetings involving pursuing my PhD or pursuing jobs in government or in industry. This includes going to the career fair, talking to the institutional ombudsman (who provides neutral advice), and speaking with the office of institutional equity. One side of this development has been working with a career counselor, even doing a career assessment in the process. Rather than an online quiz, we sorted cards, which helped me calm down and assess my situation from a birds-eye-view.

To help with emotionally managing my situation, I even started participating in group therapy. Said group features several graduate students, a therapist, and a therapist-in-training and has given me a chance to find my bearings better. Through this group, I have discussed my challenges with graduate school and with my own disability. In the most recent session, I talked about my experiences with disability – including not being able to hike to the surface of Crater Lake – but felt heard. This has helped me keep everything together.

Such effort cannot be wasted. To feel more confident, I participated in a recruitment lunch for my program just before heading on spring break. Now, hopefully, all this work will lead to a promising destination – whether that is Ph.D. or something equally exciting.

Wellbeing

SCOOTER SAGA
In the last retrospective, I mentioned my new scooter falling silent after a heavy rainfall in February 2022. Two weeks later, I dropped my silent scooter at Numotion for repairs and received a loaner scooter from them towards the end of April. This loaner alleviated the fatigue from walking numerous places. Patience did not feel completely rewarding here though – the parts for repair finally arrived in early June, while I was abroad. This meant coordinating across a 6 hour time difference.  Despite this promising news, this fix exposed a problem with the central console. This set up another delay. Required part kept facing many roadblocks and had still not arrived as of October. Finally, on November 28th, my scooter was finally brought back to me in one piece. No longer was it silent. That said, I noticed the battery had dropped during its time away. Despite being entirely manageable, this left a reminder of the great frustrations of the Scooter Saga.

Eye See
May – as a time of a lot of turbulence – actually proved to be a time where my two-year obligatory eye check up was taken care of. Just two months later, I received my first new pair of glasses in recent memory.

Something to Bite Into
This year was certainly a strange continuation of dental care. After 9 years, my health insurance was dropped by my dentist in May…mere days before my appointment. In fact, they cancelled my appointment before the insurance was formally set to expire. My last dental cleaning had been in July *2021*, which only compounded my frustrations.  This forced me to find a new dentist, which finally took place in July. This new dentist was quick and efficient, but certainly not one for words. Fine care, but not exceptional. At the tail end of the year – Dec 29th  2022– my dental cleaning took place, putting me back on track.

COVID Onslaught
After ages with this virus, I finally faced COVID exposure when my mom got the virus. Sadly, this was right before I flew back to university to face the fall semester. That said, no symptoms developed for me, and I tested negative while my mom tested positive.

It took ~three more months to finally take me. A productive Saturday morning on 10/22 where groceries and laundry was properly taken care of – per my regular routine. Had a few phone calls. Then suddenly my throat feels closed up.

Next morning, my throat still felt mostly closed up, requiring cough lozenges and nyquil (Costco edition). But heart palpitations roared in and I could feel a more steady fever. I skipped work but stopped by Chipotle (while masked) and ran into a colleague. We spent only a few minutes inside before going outside and heading our separate ways.

Then on Tuesday I woke up with throat symptoms and realized something was clearly very wrong. I took a COVID PCR test and scheduled a doctor visit, feeling tremendously panicked. Ten min before the visit the appointment was no good. My test had come back positive, which sent off cold sweat and a new round of palpitations. Even with all that masking and handwashing, I still got the virus in the end.

At this time, I struck the awkward balance of: too conscious to sleep hazily and too tired to do productive work. Fortunately, I was able to rest and fully recover. My mom also arranged food delivery to my place....after I was recovered enough to cook for myself. As a result, I felt a bit guilty as I started feeling better by end of day on 10/27. My quarantine was required for multiple more despite the sickness’s disappearance. On the 31st, I finally tested negative. This was all maddening   as my intention had been to get the flu shot and COVID booster shot 2 without becoming sick. The flu shot ended up on November 4th. Then over a month until my COVID booster shot 2, which ended up making me sleepy but not much else.

Heart to Heart
To add onto the veritable pile of checkups, I even had my echo and my cardiology appointment. Everything was as expected and hoped for. They had me wear a heart monitor for 72 hrs. My chest felt scratchy and the small monitor device itself kept disconnecting from the special phone tracker. After all that discomfort, I learned that my heart rate was in fact still below tachycardia on average (~90 bpm), which is totally in line with past results.

Extracurricular Activities
Toastmasters
A major highlight of 2020-2021 was participating in Toastmasters twice a week. As my Canadian group focused on in-person, I scaled back to one club while trying to make it through a difficult time in graduate school. Furthermore, there was no grand achievement like organizing a full leadership project and finishing my level. Which is why I am grateful for a little pin to commemorate my 2021 victory! This was given to me *in person* in 2023 during spring break after the Toastmasters store had spent ages “under renovations”.


More highlights:
1. Experiencing a wonderful BBQ in July and diner experience in December, which gave me a fresh feeling for in person activities. 

     2. Finally sharing my Dungeons and Dragons story in June 2022. Back in fall *2020*, my character faced uncertain death, and my friend – the dungeon master – helped me through that strange experience.

3. Managing interrupters while I talk about the great and late singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. Some hecklers even asked “what is a cassette” or “why would you still use cassettes” which proved to be a really cool experience. That said, an emotional topic may have been challenging for this type of speech.

4. On February 13th 2023 we held a special meeting. A less experienced member – and friend –
wanted to run a Cultural Night as meeting Toastmaster. My role was to help sort out the technology and meeting structure. I coached her in running the meeting, helped draft the special agenda, and wrote reminder emails. For the event itself, I gave a 4 minute speech on my cultural experiences being a Pakistani-American. (We had a whopping 7 other people give speeches too!

     5. Delivering a keynote 20-minute speech about the teacher inside all of us. As a bonus, I was able to talk about lessons from my father and also from a civil right great like Malcolm X. Mostly topics I knew here, but it did give me an excuse to listen to Malcolm X lectures and speeches.

Advocacy
Because of the stresses of school, I have not put in as much time to further my advocacy efforts. There was a several hour DOT meeting that I attended for 3 hrs (while waiting for research work to be given to me) detailed in this blog post
http://nighttrail.blogspot.com/2022/03/a-personal-recollection-on-air-travel.html. Attending the MDA Advocacy event earlier this year gave me more inspiration to continue my efforts.

Two charities inspired me to finally chip in money to help the needy. (Naturally it is the place of government above all to care for people not charity.) A Toastmasters friend best known for his jokes seriously recommended Child’s Play, a Washington-based group that brings video games to children’s hospitals. My own children’s hospital had games, so the importance was pretty obvious to me! I pitched in $10 for the Christmas season. The other group is Direct Relief – they work with my favorite YouTube group TheRunawayGuys in the Colosseum event once a year. This group has even performed relief work in Pakistan among other places. While watching live, I pitched in $10. My donation note listed out “trans rights” and the speaker actually read the note twice. These two experiences helped me feel like I was giving back to people other than myself.  

Language
Throughout this time, I have gone through periods of picking up Japanese and Urdu again. Unlike earlier in the pandemic, my brain seems weighed down with stress. As easy as it can be to say – may the coming months be a much better period of study.
 
Clubs
Last spring, I was asked to become treasurer for my university’s Fulbright student association. As it turned out, now I was the only American holding a major position! The majority of the organization is Fulbright students from other countries to the US. By contrast, I am a Fulbright US alumni. In the midst of unsettled waters (my program), this has been a great experience.

Learning how to interview people to join the club executive team, training in being a club treasurer (and following every miniscule detail demanded by the university), and studying student organization program planning. Being able to contribute as not just a treasurer but a club leader in meetings with other organizations.

The social experiences have been fun too. For the outdoor picnic, we went to a historic park, and I brought the South Asian lentil meal daal. Ordinarily this dish is challenging to make flavorful, but this was an outright success. This made for an interesting potluck. One exciting bit of the picnic was trying out some Afghani treats, which were familiar yet distinct (as a Pakistani). 

The pond for which this park is famous.

 

Afghani saffron tea.


Dishes from many cultures. My cooked daal and rice are on the top right edge.

A Free Sunday gave us an excuse to go to the Museum of Art. (As treasurer, I certainly approved of the cheap trip.)  It was not a huge shock, but still pleasant. There were probably 4 Monet paintings and even some Rodin sculptures – which is decidedly typical for an American art museum. Another interesting feature was an embellished Lego model of the city including mountains and beaches.  


Retrospective Recap
Another spring careening towards the mandated normalcy. Much has happened during the pandemic. Looking back, I realized one "could have been" was getting a Nintendo Switch. When I achieve a more stable position (in society), I hope to come back to this goal.

Hope you enjoyed reading what has been going on. Many thanks to all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Captivating read Omar. Wish you well deserved success in your PhD
    I hope your mentors recognize your passion for making life experiences positive, helping others inspite of personal challenges and being a great ambassador for disability rights and your mission to help find a cure for Muscular Dystrophy. You are a diamond in the rough destined to shine. Inspired by your spirit and commitment.

    ReplyDelete