Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Day 1 of 12 in Anime: Yamada Directs My Life's Story

Everyone reading this post hopefully knows that Yamada adores framing shots through legs, especially through the calves. It is a 'meme' at this point. But, given that she is probably the greatest director ever, that is entirely okay! I hope you realize, though, that this is actually a post about me.

One common thread on this blog is my condition Becker Muscular Dystrophy, which primarily impacts my legs. They can be the greatest contribution to my self-consciousness, especially under pain -- even if that cannot be seen. Back in Fall 2012, when this pain was at its height, I grew to fear my legs and hate the sight of them. Since then, I have psychologically and physically grown re-accustomed to my legs. This is more due to physical therapy and growth as a person.

But perhaps the way Yamada uses legs as a framing device highlights the beauty each person's legs bring as both a physical and emotional support to people. (Of course, this does, unfortunately, exclude people who do not have legs in the conventional sense.) How people stand, by making use of their legs, can often highlight deep facets of well-being. For example, I spread out my legs a lot more when I feel very tired to give more stability. Legs are an essential part of expression, not just as a link in the chain -- and Yamada fully understands that.

This is not limited to Yamada -- look no further than the walk cycles by famed animator Ebata (see Absolute Duo OP for instance) and the depictions of gait in Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.

By making this a consistent part of her cinematographic language, Yamada brings positivity and beauty to legs, which are often excluded. Usually, the face receives the majority of attention. Most humans are socialized to focus on the face. But the face is not all of body language!

From here, Yamada would be an excellent choice to direct my life's story, by reframing legs from a weakness into a beautiful strength. As my attention is often on my legs, that would make for a reasonable focus in storyboarding. My story starts when my mom noticed my legs stiffening up while playing -- and I can only imagine how well a director like Yamada could bring that to life!

No comments:

Post a Comment