Thursday, August 27, 2015

Creation, Consumption, and Yet Another Update!

With one of my friends, I talk a lot about balancing my consumption of art with creation. To recap, I have currently been watching Higurashi (Season 2) and Mushishi (Season 1) and both shows are very different - yet they both have a mythology that they follow. In regards to world-building, both are interesting. As someone hoping to write a murder mystery story - and I will finish another part someday - I appreciate influences on story structure. Thanks to Higurashi, I suspect that I will reach beyond strict linearity and logical progression. I read through Haruhi LNs 7-9 recently, flew through Inio Asano's Solanin and started reading Christie's The ABC Murders. Through Solanin, I got a chance to reflect on my life as it is and through ABC Murders I get to return to the world of mystery. Through this web of art, I have become more capable of connecting ideas, themes and better and wading through my art backloggery. Today I finished Higurashi, compounding my newfound abilities (take that, pre-self-protest self!). But my creative habits are not at all at pace - I have fallen behind with creating art. Analysis, even though it involves artistic judgment, is not truly creative even though it plays a role. The small insights I gain from engaging other artists' work does, however, help push me in that direction. Engaging various media is necessary for exposure to different ideas; this exposure allows one to alleviate inexperience. Someone else did this idea so you can use them as a reference rather than try to create from new. That way, you can focus on creating a new work from all of these individual insights accumulated. I am improving but now I would like to translate my art-engagement into art-creation.

Now I would like to provide some updates:
1. I am now on the East Coast for some vacation time, but this may make me less willing to actually write.
2. While I plan to read and watch yet more, I hope to focus on more substantial posts and be more creative. I will pursue the same post ideas as suggested before. However, I hope to end August strong and aim for 20 posts, maybe? A post that was written quite a while ago should go up and that will provide an intellectual basis for future posts.
3. Hopefully, I can watch through Fate/Zero season 2. As you can tell, I'm hard at work writing more posts.
4. I have a rather important deadline September 10 and thus September will definitely not even be an attempt at writing a post every day.
5. I haven't used a legit list in a while, huh?
6. Pay attention!
7. w.r.t  the Murder Mystery, I am working on Part 3 and I will try to entertain some nonlinear ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment