Monday, January 18, 2016

"Most Improved"

Today was my second meeting of Toastmasters - a group where you try to work on your public speaking skills - and I received the "Most Improved" award. My first meeting I participated in the "introduction" (as I am still a guest) and the table topics - The table topic event is where one person, in charge of the topics, goes to the front and explains the prompt; then the volunteer has to do a brief 1-2 minute impromptu speech. My second meeting I participated in the same events, but this time I was able to extend my impromptu speech to 35 seconds (still under). I decided to do some non sequitur story about Thor's hammer, fighting a dragon, and ending up toasted.

If I keep partaking in this club, I hope to write a speech about myself and present it - in fact, this speech may be posted here if it is to my liking. Right now I'm still in the drafting phase and I sorely want to reference anime - and Hayamin - but that probably would be unwise as it would be awkward. Unless I can be sly about it.

Another new aspect of my life is wearing a portable heart monitor, four leads stuck to me near the chest area. The cords are awkward to deal with, even more so to hide, but I am slowly getting used to them. I am about, again, a week into this position, so I certainly do not know how my results will end up. The orange 'event' button has been pressed a somewhat alarming amount of times to indicate heart palpitations. Hopefully no serious complications will be revealed by this monitor, and that it shows my cardiac healthiness.

Lastly, I was reminiscing about the piece "Lamplight" from Little Busters - swift, minimalistic piano sets a chilling atmosphere followed by a chiming sound and a woodwind instrument. The piece, with its soothing timbre, sets a nocturnal tone, calming the listener.

No comments:

Post a Comment